Elephant poop stationary? It's at the John Ball Zoo | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)-Summer is starting early at John Ball Zoo, which opened two more seasonal exhibits Saturday.
Visitors can now check out the sting rays and the Far Side of the World Trail, which includes wallabies, lemurs and exotic birds.
The zoo's new gift shop also opened Saturday. Gifts of the Wild is four times larger than the zoo's former store, and it features some unusual, eco-friendly items.
"We have a special kind of stationary that's made out of elephant poop. So we are definitely recycling here at the zoo," Gift Manager Theresa Danneffel says with a laugh.
On June 1, the zoo will begin unveiling its final additions, including the Idema Forest Realm and the Funicular sky trolley.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry