Grand Rapids turns 162 | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)- Grand Rapids is celebrating its 162 birthday today. This day in May 1980 the city approved its charter.
Grand Rapids looked very different then. The staff at the Grand Rapids Public Library says there was nothing more than plank roads, the cemetery on Fulton Street was the outer point of the city, and Grand Rapids was mainly agricultural.
The Pearl Street Bridge even charged residents a toll to cross with their livestock.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners
- Kris Spaulding helps Brewery Vivant find a new way of making merry