'Ice day' causes family, childcare challenges | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Nearly every school in West Michigan was closed Friday morning, creating an early holiday vacation for thousands of children and childcare challenges for many of their parents.
Some parents availed themselves of the drop-in programs offered at the YMCA childcare facility downtown. They pre-enroll for such occasional visits; some enrolled Friday morning.
"We have some kids that don't show up regularly but we're open in the snow and ready to provide care for the kids," said Andrew Pastoor of the YMCA.
For many working parents without child care arrangements, Friday was a sick day from work.
Icy sidewalks and roads were the norm across west Michigan Friday. It was hard to enjoy being outside, with rain and freezing rain coming down.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- New uniform requirement begins at GRPS middle schools
- Grand Rapids police are investigating an overnight stabbing during an apparent robbery attempt.
- Break dance school celebrates 10 years of street dancing
- Outdoor watch party planned for MSU-Oregon game
- The Rapid gives annual update to Kent Co. commissioners